Monday, July 14, 2014

Swamp Bats profiles: Conner Simonetti

Conner Simonetti

After his freshman year at Kent State University, Conner Simonetti  had the option of playing in the Northwoods and the New England College Baseball Leagues. Given the chance, he lobbied to join the Swamp Bats “I heard a lot of good things about Keene so I came here. It’s been fun.”

His motivation for coming to New Hampshire was more than baseball related. When he was a kid, “My parents used to own a house on Granite Lake. The town and area are so nice, it’s a great place to be.”

In June, Conner saw a lot of playing time as designated hitter, in the outfield and first base. He had a home run in the Swamp Bats home opener versus Laconia and another the following week. He also had 4 doubles and 9 RBI. –But his batting average is hurting. “Power numbers have always been there for me but hitting for average is one of the tools I’m trying to work on.”
Congratulations v Laconia
Photo by Doc Gordon
 Now that more players have joined the team following the conclusion of their college season, there have been fewer opportunities for Simonetti.  He’d rather play than not play but in the meantime, he works with coaches and teammates and reminds himself to be patient. “There are guys with more experience, so I see this as an opportunity to learn.”

His hosts are Jen and Josh English; they have two children, Dana and Tyler. The English’s have provided a home away from home. “They’re starting to call me their big brother; it’s going to be sad when I have to go.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment