Thursday, July 3, 2014

Player Profiles: Connor Fitzsimons


Photo by Doc Gordon
Connor Fitzsimons started the season behind the plate for the Swamp Bats. Sometimes, he was the only catcher on the roster. He handled the pitchers well and received the nicks and knocks any backstop suffers. At bat, however, Connor opened the season just 1-for-26. He looked lost.

On June 19th versus the Blue Sox at Alumni Field, Fitzsimons came to bat in the 3rd inning. As he made his way from the on-deck circle to home plate, the PA played his new walk-up music: Dion’s The Wanderer.
After two pitches, Fitz rapped a single to right field.  In the 5th inning, he had a base hit to center to score Taylor Perez.  He added another single to right in the 7th inning and drew a walk in the 8th.  The Swamp Bats went to win, 9-7. Since that night, the Swamp Bats have been playing better, Dion’s become a fixture and Connor’s batting close to .500.

“That was the night I had my breakout night; that felt good,” he recalled the other day. There are times Fitzsimons seems to take his sweet time before stepping into the batter’s box, the better to hear more Dion. “I try and do that to get the full effect,” he adds with a mischievous grin.

“It’s the kind of song I always listened to with my grandpa. I remember in high school, when I painted his house, we used to listen to XM radio and he got me hooked on the 50’s music so it’s always been something to put me in a good mood. “

                 Fitz sings and misses but draws a walk.

                           Photo by Doc Gordon
Connor speaks well of Coach Dan Moylan and the developmental aspect of playing for the Swamp Bats. Now that fellow catcher Rob Coman from Virginia (fresh off the College World Series) has joined the team, Fitz knows he’s about to share playing time. “I’m only 19, I’m in a good spot,” he says

If you get to a game late and wonder who’s catching, you’ll figure things if you hear

No comments:

Post a Comment