Friday, July 4, 2014

Player profiles: Ryan Summers


The guy doesn’t stop moving.
That’s the first thing you notice about Ryan Summers. From when he first gets to Alumni Field to the end of the night, Ryan Summers is a picture of high energy. You’ll see him taking part in long toss or shagging flies, getting his swings in batting practice, visiting with opposing players to a game of flip, Summers is having a great time.
That energy is his greatest asset. He’s played Centerfield, Catcher, 1st base and, Designated Hitter. “To me, it doesn’t really matter. I just like to have fun so wherever I can have fun, that’s what I’ll do.”
Ryan Summers
The key is preparation. 

 Ryan says when ballplayers work hard and take the game seriously; having fun is one of the rewards.  “A lot of my friends play on other teams but, I believe this place is the most fun to play in the whole league. In other places, you can kind of get tight and worry about your stats. The coaches here, we’re set up to show up at the park and have a good time. In the end, that results in winning which I think we’re going to do.”

It’s an approach that suits him. “If the coach puts me in the lineup to catch, I’m ready to catch. If I’m put at DH, I’m ready to DH. No matter what’s thrown at me I’m ready.” 

The Swamp Bats have players who are teammates at Central Connecticut, St. John’s, Saint Leo University and, Virginia. Summers is the lone member of the team from Louisville but, hardly the first. “Every year Louisville sends guys to Keene. Guys who’ve played in Keene said they’d loved it. When my coach told me ‘You’re headed to Keene’, I was very excited about it. I guess Louisville will always have a spot here.”
His host family is the Thatcher family. “They’re great, Olive, Quinn and Logan and they’re a great family. The parents are warm, I feel right at home.”  

That family feeling is a bond for the team, the players and Keene. “I just like what Keene has to offer, the community here, it’s a great spot to play. It’s great to know you’ve got fans that have your back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment