Saturday, July 12, 2014

Player Profiles: Alex Robinson

Alex Robinson

Alex Robinson is making the switch from reliever to starting pitcher with the Swamp Bats. And with that switch come adjustments both mental and physical. Instead of putting everything into every pitch, a starting pitcher both establishes a rhythm to his game and must adjust as hitters and baserunners upset that rhythm. To that end, Alex says “I’d like to cut down my walks and pitch to contact a little more.” The math is simple enough. Generally, it takes fewer pitches to get a hitter retired on a ground ball to short than strikeout. That kind of approach can help the Swamp Bats now, and help Alex in the long term, to become a reliable starter.

“That would be huge to me going into my junior year, my draft year.”

  • Friday night against the Sanford Mainers, Alex started and went 5 innings, his longest outing this season. Robinson allowed 5 Hits and 1 run off a wild pitch and struck out 5.
  • In 19 1/3 inning pitched, A-Rob has struck out 24, allowed 14 hits and walked 9 batters. His E.R.A. in six games is 0.93.
The Queens, New York native joined the Swamp Bats season in progress, after postseason play with his University of Maryland Terrapins concluded. “My head baseball coach at Maryland told me about Keene, when I saw they had won the NECBL championship last year, I thought it would be a great opportunity to play here.”

One of the sweeter rituals for Swamp Bats games occurs before a pitch is thrown, when youth leaguers take to the field next to players for the Star Spangled Banner. Before his start vs Vermont at Alumni Field, Robinson stood for our National Anthem with a youngster. When the music stopped, the two traded a fist bump.

At Maryland, Robinson’s a Family Science major. “Basically, it’s going into social work with kids in social work, guidance counselor, anything to help families and children. When I was little, I remember older kids helping me.”

Swamp Bats fans enjoy when Robinson pitches. At 6’3’, 215 lb. the hard-throwing lefty can be an intimidating presence and fans enjoy seeing him pitch. Alex looks forward to when his folks can see him in Keene. “Both my parents travel in their work so it’s awesome when they come see me play.”

No comments:

Post a Comment