Monday, June 30, 2014

Player Profiles: Dominic Severino



Dominic Severino
photo by Doc Gordon
One of the great things about the New England College Baseball League is seeing outstanding young players continue to develop their talent, hone their craft. It’s been particularly helpful for Dominic Severino, who pitches and plays first base.  

Severino is enjoying his second season in the NECBL. A year ago, he played for the North Adams SteepleCats. Moving from college ball to the NECBL means an adjustment, one Dominic is familiar with. “It’s a different scene, a different at atmosphere. After playing with essentially the same guys on a college team, going to a new environment’s quite a change.”  And in the NECBL, one faces not only outstanding players from collegiate play but players from across the United States and Canada “Playing in this league, no matter where you play you are going to face top talent from across the country.”

Joining him with the Swamp Bats are two Central Connecticut State teammates, pitcher Matt Blandino and catcher Connor Fitzsimons.  After a slow start as a batter, Fitzsimons has been hitting better as of late. And as a catcher, the skill with which he works with pitchers has been impressive, especially when he knows his pitcher. “I’ve been playing with Connor for three years. We have a real good connection, a real good chemistry. Every time I pitch, I seem to have Connor behind the plate. He knows me, I know him. And we know how to attack hitters.”
 
L-R Connor Fitzsimons, Matt Blandino and Dominic Severino

At bat, Severino had a pretty good weekend.  After a hitless Friday night, Dominic was 3-for-4 with 3 RBI Saturday and Sunday, he hit his first Home Run of the year, a two run shot.

It’s a love for the game that keeps these young men playing baseball after the college season ends. And, not for nothing is the NECBL phrase “Keep your eye on the dream”.  “I’m having fun and playing the game,” Dominic says. “If I get an opportunity to play at the next level, I’ll be sure to take it. If you are as passionate as I am, if given the opportunity, I feel like I can be an asset.”

Playing for baseball loving fans at Alumni Field is something every player enjoys but no NECBL player could feel comfortable without the kind of support they get off the field. “My family tries to make it to every game whether I’m in the lineup or not. It’s a pleasure, my Mom hasn’t missed a college game my whole career.” That encouragement and support also comes from the player’s home away from home. In the case, Dominic’s host in Keene is Pam Slack.  “It’s awesome to have someone take you in and give you a place to stay. Host families are “passionate about the organization, and the Swamp Bats.”

The enthusiasm is not limited to the domestic environment, Severino explains. “It’s a great community, every time that my teammates and I go downtown, we are recognized as Swamp Bats and people talk to us and wish us good luck on  the season. “

 

No comments:

Post a Comment