Monday, June 30, 2014

Player profiles: Brady Sheetz



His name just sounds like a ballplayer, doesn’t it?
 A native of Eighty-Four, Pennsylvania, Brady Sheetz  attends the University of Hartford where he’s a Management/Marketing major.  Managing to balance a dual major and college athletics is demanding. However, Sheetz is determined to get the most of his college years.

The matchup for this player and the New England College Baseball League and in particular the Swamp Bats was a matter of serendipity and word of mouth. “I was just looking for a good summer ball experience,” Brady explains.” My head coach at Hartford is from the Keene area. “

Geographic diversity is a hallmark of this league. “We face guys from all over,” Brady says.  Recently Pennsylvanian Sheetz faced a batter in a North Adams uniform, a Long Island native who attends Adelphi University. The North Adams catcher, Ramon Valdez is from Chestermere, Alberta who played his junior college ball in Illinois and now attends Barry University in Miami, Florida. “It blows my mind how they find these guys from the whole United States to come here and play.”
In 14 games, Sheetz is batting .260 and has started at each spot in the outfield, most frequently in left field. He has no preference. “I just like to hit. I like hitting, I like playing out here. “
Brady Sheetz scores vs the New Bedford Bay Sox June 18th.
Photo by Doc Gordon
Sheetz has been impressed with the caliber of play in the NECBL. “I think anyone who plays in this league has a chance to move onto another level.” As for his baseball future, Brady says “I’m from a smaller school I’m from Hartford. I’ll be a senior; I just want to take it all in, play as long as I can.”

No comments:

Post a Comment